My mom sent this to me in an email not to long ago and I actually find it quite amazing. I don't like the idea of living by a list, but there are some pretty good ones here. Which do you already live by? Which one do you think you should live by? I personally love number 2 and 10.
1. Never panic. Stop, breathe,think.
2. No one is thinking about you. They're thinking about themselves, just like you.
3. Never change haircut or color before an important event.
4. Nothing is either as bad or as good as it seems.
5. Do as you would be done by, e.g.thou shalt not kill.
6. It is better to buy one expensive thing that you really like than several cheap ones that you only quite like.
7. Hardly anything matters: if you get upset, ask yourself, "Does it really matter?"
8. The key to success lies in how you pick yourself up from failure.
9. Be honest and be kind.
10. Only buy clothes that make you feel like doing a small dance.
11. Trust your instincts, not your overactive imagination.
12. When overwhelmed by disaster, check if it's really a disaster by doing the following: (a) think, "Oh, fuck it", (b) look on the bright side and, if that doesn't work, look on the funny side. If neither of the above works then maybe it is a disaster so turn to items 1 and 4.
13. Don't expect the world to be safe or life to be fair.
14. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.
and then the new one from Elsie, added at the bottom:
15. Don't regret anything. Remember there wasn't anything else that could have happened, given who you were and the state of the world at that moment. The only thing you can change is the present, so learn from the past.
and then Olivia's own practical application of this:
I6. If you start regretting something and thinking "I should have done..." always add,"but then I might have been run over by a lorry or blown up by a Japanese-manned torpedo".
Hope this helps!