Wednesday, November 24, 2010

You know what it's time for... Supermodel documentary hour!

I've always been a fan of documentaries, but there has been a surge in my interest as of late.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Man on Wire (2008) (on netflix instant watch)

Even though I knew the outcome of this film (umm, hello they show present day interviews with this guy) I was still on the edge of my seat about what was going to happen next.  The French have such passion and fire that you can't help but get wrapped up in it.


The Devil and Daniel Johnston (2005) 

Oh Daniel Johnston, where do I begin?  Such an amazing and strange person.  Everything he makes is so incredible and his life was so well documented the move makers had tons and tons to pull from.  This is absolutely one of the most well-made documentaries I've seen.


How to Draw a Bunny (2002) 


If you think that Daniel Johnston is misunderstood then wait until you meet Ray Johnson.  His life and death was so mysterious to even those who were close to him.  When I wanted to be a collage artist he was a major inspiration for me.


Beautiful Losers (2008) (on netflix instant watch)


I love everything that these people create.  It makes me want to start my very own artist group and take over the world.  Anyone care to join?


No Impact Man: The Documentary (2009)

This documentary shows the ups and downs of a family trying to drastically reduce their impact on the environment.  What's great about it is that even though at some points you hate them you still love them for what they're trying to do.

I hadn't heard much by the Flaming Lips before I watched this film, but I knew I had to be better acquainted once I saw it.  It will knock your sock off!


Babies (2010) (on netflix instant watch)

Alright, so this is a no-brainer.  Adorable babies, check.  Amazing landscapes, check.  It has everything going for it.  If you'd really like to kick things up a notch, and well, we did, play a drinking game to it.  We took a drink every time a baby cried for more than three seconds, but I think if did every time you saw a tit you'd be feeling pretty good by the end as well.


Herb & Dorothy (2008)

This darling little couple loves to collect art like no one I've seen.  They have jam packed their tiny tiny apartment and saved money in all kinds of ways (like by only having dial-up internet gasp!) in order to afford more art.  Because of this they have great stories to tell and a priceless pieces of art.

And I can't leave out my favorite mokumentary:

Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

I laugh out loud every single time I see this movie.  If you haven't seen it yet, then you need to see it now.  I mean it, NOW!

I'm sure some really great ones didn't make it up here, what are your favorite documentaries?  Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for putting a smile on my face!